Tuesday 27 February 2007

Correspondence Chess

About 18 months ago I took on the job of editing the Australian Correspondence Chess Quarterly. This is the official magazine of the Correspondence Chess League of Australia (CCLA). Every CCLA member recieves a copy of the magazine, which come out 4 times a year.
At the moment the membership level of the CCLA is hovering around the 400 mark. As with most things in chess, it would be nice if more people would join. However one of the obstacles to joining is finding out how to do it. In the case of the CCLA it is fairly straightforward.
Yearly membership is $20 ($10 for juniors). Simply send this amount (cheque or money order will do) to

CCLA
PO Box 29
New Lambton
NSW 2305.

along with your contact details and an estimate of your playing strength (eg ACF rating).
Or you can visit the newly updated CCLA Website and follow the joining instructions.
While there are many reasons to try correspondence chess I will simply repeat a conversation I had with Boris Spassky a number of years ago. I asked him for some advice about how to improve my chess and he replied "This is a question that a middle aged friend asked me a few years ago. I told him to take up correspondence chess and learn about pawn structures. Soon he will be an International Master"

No comments: