Wednesday 7 November 2007

Why don't adults get coaching?

A question often asked by adults who like to gripe about all the resources being directed into junior chess. There are probably a number of answers (time, interest etc) but my favourite comes from ex-junior chess organiser Libby Smith. To paraphrase a response I once read she says "If you want coaching, why don't you organise it. Unlike children, adults should have the skills to put something like this on, without getting your mum to help you"
While not connected to the above statement, the adults at the ANU Chess Club have decided to organise some coaching over the summer. When the current competition finishes (in a weeks time), the club will run some small group workshops on various chess topics. At this stage it is going to be pretty free form, with a combination of study/talks/quizzes designed to help club members improve.
So if you are live in the Canberra region and are interested in joining in, feel free to contact me. I will happily pass your interest onto Stephen Mugford who is the chief organiser. It will be held on Wednesday evenings (venue TBA) and there will be no charge.

**Comments on this post contain language that may offend some readers. Whether you choose to read it is up to you **

8 comments:

TrueFiendish said...

Players of our strength really have to travel for quality coaching. Online is an option but no equal of face to face interaction. I once looked into it and found an IM in Sydney who was busy but could fit me in, but the cost and time involved was on the prohibitive side.
AO

Anonymous said...

Rabbits like AO really need some good coaching. I have just the man for the job - his name is Howard Duggan! I don't think he would charge very much at all.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous above can poke fun at people and think he get away with it. Got news for you buddy, you try the same thing on me and I see you alone anywhere i will punch your fucking head in and you wont know who I was.

Rick said...

anonymous said...
"Anonymous above can poke fun at people and think he get away with it. Got news for you buddy, you try the same thing on me and I see you alone anywhere i will punch your ######## head in and you wont know who I was."

Are we not just taking things a bit to seriously?

TrueFiendish said...

I was going to inform the first anon that my comment was not directed to him (or to any other bored, immature, pimply, unpopular child) but rather to the blogger. But then I remembered the golden rule: "Don't feed the trolls!"

And this rabbit would not be afraid to challenge anon to an OTB game (that way you can't use a computer to cheat) for a healthy wager. You can have white.

Shaun Press said...

Ashley, the post by the first anon wasn't a case of "trolling", it was most likely a case of "I'm really, really stupid"
It seems that anon has confused you with another chess player who goes under a nom-de-plume with the initials AO, and has tried to post something clever.
I'm guessing that anon is now feeling really embarrassed, although by not putting a name to their post, only they know how dumb they've been!

DeNovoMeme said...

Egor: Are we not just taking things a bit to seriously?

Sounds like Anon #2 is seriously sick of Anon #1.

I would say that #2 thinks they know who #1 is.
I wouold say that #1 thinks they know who #2 is.
Finally I think that they are both wrong.

Suffice to say the wrong person might get their head punched in for being a prick. And the wrong person might get charged for the punching of the wrong prick.


Tragicomedy.

TrueFiendish said...

Thanks Shaun. Yeah maybe I overreacted. I just get cheesed off at people who respond to my posts to no good purpose, esp. when they don't identify themselves. Perhaps the other AO should take over from here. ;-)

On the positive side, eight posts to a single blog entry must be approaching a record!