Thursday 25 September 2008

Score!

High on the list of "must read" chess books is "My System" by Aron Nimzowitsch. But when discussing it with some fellow chess coaches on the weekend, I had to confess that I'd never read it. I had it at home, and had looked at it a couple of times, but never made the effort, or so I thought. It turned out that not only had I not read it, I didn't even own a copy. I did have a copy of the follow up "Chess Praxis" but at some point in the past I had confused the two, and thought I had the former.
However the chess gods were clearly smiling on me as I walked through the doors of the annual Lifeline Bookfair here in Canberra. Heading straight for the "Board Games" section I not only spotted a large selection of chess books, but sitting right in the middle, calling out to me with its bright red cover, was a copy of My System, with $3 written on the inside cover. Into the bag it went, along with about half a dozen other books, and a glaring hole in my chess knowledge is about to be filled!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Old and outdated, but still a classic like Fischer's My Memorable 60 Moves . Good find Shaun. I'm a bit jealous.

Alex Toolsie

Anonymous said...

Today I went to Lifeline Bookfair. I was hopping to find some good chess books too. But I could find only five of them! Mostly for how to play chess or Chess kind of stuff. Anyway, it was compansated when I could actully buy 37 good books for only 30 dollars! It was a real lifeline bookfair for me.
Alimuzzaman