Saturday 25 September 2010

2010 Olympiad - Day 4

The Olympiad is full swing, but I must confess I lost track of time. Days of the week have disappeared, instead being replaced by round numbers.
Today PNG played San Marino who is another regular opponent for us. They were seeded close to us so it came down to who would play the best chess on the day. In the end they won 3-1, although the result could have been different (or the same in a different way). On board 1 Joselito Marcos tried a speculative attack and just ended up down a rook. However he then found some resources in the position and scammed a draw by perpetual. On Board 2 I once again messed up my opening prep and played a TN which was probably unsound. However my opponent got a little carried away and I went into the middlegame a pawn up. However he won it back, only to allow me to enter the endgame a pawn up. It was one of those annoying knight endings where anything could go wrong, so I decided a draw was the safest outcome. Boards 3&4 fought bravely in inferior endings and while the games reached the fifth hour (and beyond), we ere unable to save them.
Tommorow we have reached the last board and play Burundi. Following that is the Bermuda Part, although I may have an early night as FIDE have thoughtlessly scheduled the Rules and Tournament Regulations Committee meeting the morning after!

No comments: