Thursday 17 March 2011

What's your tribe?

While we like to think that we all belong to one big community of chessplayers, like any community, there are a number of smaller tribes that we 'really' belong to. For example, I like to think I belong the tribe of 'club players', in that I play once a week at my local club, and have done so for pretty much my entire chess career.
While thinking about this topic I began to wonder about other tribes. A brief (but no means exhaustive list) I came up with includes
  • 'Too busy to play' tribe - Studies chess, subscribes to magazines, keeps up with latest news, even comes to all the tournaments, but never has the time to actually play!
  • 'I have no life other than chess' tribe - Plays every event going, including club events, weekend events, simuls etc
  • 'Where do we drink' tribe - Normally ex-juniors players now in their 20's. Only play events with a well stocked bar and plenty of mates.
I'm sure there are plenty I've missed so feel free to suggest some more in the comments section

4 comments:

HeinzK said...

What about the 'blogger tribe'?

Paul said...

My tribe are the Scots-Irish...:-)

Anonymous said...

What about the the tribe that plays off-beat or theoretically doubtful openings? :) -Peter

Garvin said...

How about the, I rant about chess administration on interrant forums and I know all the answers, but I do not involve myself in chess administration, or even play anymore- tribe.