Tuesday 26 June 2012

Playing while sick - another update

A few years ago I made a couple of posts on the topic of 'playing while sick'. Having come done with a mild cold over the weekend, I thought it was time to revisit the topic.
Having roused myself from my deathbed I played Kishore Sreetharan in round 6 of the Belconnen Club Championship. Since the start of the year Kishore and I have played a few tournament games, which usually ends with me escaping from a near terminal position due to one saving trick. However this time I decided to be a little more aggressive out of the opening, which kind of fits in with 'how to play when sick' method. (For those who don't know it usually involves chucking pieces up the board). This time it actually turned out quite well, and I even got to demonstrate one of my other mantras "If you play Nce4 then you should have a winning attack". It turned out it was not so much a winning attack, but a good position with a material edge. But it was enough to win, although I nursed it home towards the end, rather than trying to find any forcing wins. Of course this is not conclusive proof that being a 'little sick' assists your chess by making you either (a) reckless or (b) careful (I managed both a various points), especially as my opponent was suffering from a similar malady to mine.


Press,Shaun - Sreetharan,Kishore [B06]
Belconnen CC, 26.06.2012


No comments: